Monday 14 January 2013

Sketchbook Project 2013 - thoughts and musings

 Now that you've seen all of the pages of my 2013 sketchbook project book, what do you think? Feel free to leave comments - good or bad - in the little box.

I really enjoyed the process of following the very loose brief, and I liked that I could do as many, or as few, pages as I wanted. I would definitely take part again, except that they appear to have changed the format for the 2014 project, and I am not currently particularly taken by any of the topics either :-/

It remains to be seen how my book will go down either with the organisers (I still fear that oils are banned somewhere in some rule document that I haven't seen... *wibble*), or the viewing public of America, or the world once it has been digitised, but that's not really why I did it. I took part, simply because I thought it would be a good way of me getting back into painting after such a long time away from it. It's worked brilliantly for that - it's got me back into the swing of it, proved to me that my brand spanking new studio (of which, more later ;)) works, and reignited my love of oils. I am eternally grateful for all of those things. I have rediscovered my love of painting, and the joy that it brings to me. Will someone *please* smack me upside the head if I forget again?

I've also learnt how to bind books (sort of lol)



What was YOUR favourite page?

4 comments:

  1. LOVE it! My favourite is either One Giant Leap for Canine Kind, or Are you my Mummy. But I also love the moomin and Night at the Museum. I might be slightly biased towards those ones of course :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only slightly ;) Glad that you like them, and thank you SO much for letting me babysit them for a while x

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me it's a toss up between 'What came first?' and 'One giant leap for canine kind'. Or 'Snails pace'. They're all fabulous really, and you should be very proud of the book - what a way to get back on the horse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very proud. Mostly just for finishing it though to be fair!

    My personal favourites are 'what came first', 'one giant leap' and the 'close match' (or whatever I called it in the end! I'm posting from my phone and can't check... ;)) I do also love Moomintroll though...

    I'm so pleased I did it. I'd recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone who is remotely artistic. They've now officially scanned it in to their system (ok, it took 2 weeks, but they had 11 huge mail bags worth on the day mine arrived...), and if nothing else, I can now legitimately say that I have work in the permanent collection of an art museum in New York!
    They'll be digitising it soon, and I'll post a link once I've got it :)

    ReplyDelete